Oct 9, 2007

Seven

Yes, this week, Thomas turned seven. I can’t believe it, but then that seems to be the case with every birthday these days and I’m sure that my mother shakes her head when she thinks that I am 30 + that number.

I feel bad that it’s taken me 3 days past our little man’s milestone to get around to writing it and I’ll have to make sure that I take the time to post this (and the other couple of posts that I’ve prepared) so that it’s not another week until I finish the task.

Thomas is a super-dude. Given the start that he’s had with his speech over the seven years, I am constantly amazed at the patience and perseverance he displays as he goes about the tasks that are set for him. I was out watching him at his ice-skating lesson last night and its wonderful to see him starting to glide about the ice, taking off cheekily whenever he get’s a chance to have a little skate rather than stand in line and wait for instruction.

Its representative of the cheeky sense of humour that’s he’s developed thus far. There are of course times when one is tired and it seems that he’s taken things a bit beyond the bearable stage, but its usually hard not to at least have an inwardly grin at his antics (whilst outwardly trying to guide him in to a different place!).

He remains generous and caring in his outlook, to the point that on the night of his birthday when McDonald’s screwed the order for his birthday dinner (resulting in Michael and Sam having no fries) he happily handed over half of his little bag of fries to Sam so that he didn’t miss out (unlike the little mischief who wasn’t about to have a bar of this sharing crap – must take after me, not Caroline, that one). It was simply a precious moment of generosity.

So far Thomas has managed two trips to hospital with blood gushing from him, first his head and then, as recently documented, his thumb. Let’s cross our fingers and hope that seven doesn’t bring any more of those. I’d be quite happy if his one and only ice related injury managed to happen off the ice before he ever knew how to skate!

No comments: