Jan 20, 2019

Japan 2019 - Day 5


When the kids don’t oblige by giving you something to write about sometimes you just have to go out and do it yourself. That’s why this update is a little delayed, but I’ll get to that later.

We woke up yesterday to another bluebird day as they say, with the sun shining and blue skies over the ski fields. It was our last day in Madarao and we were only going to be able to ski for half of it before we had to negotiate our way to our next destination, Matsumoto. We packed, made sure everything was right for our departure, then made our way out to the slopes where the weather was truly gorgeous.





I decided that if I was going to do a speed run, I’d be best of doing it early in the day so I went for it on the first run. Now I think I wrote two years ago about the dangers of knowing how fast you’re going and the desire to push the boundaries. I’d told myself before this trip that I wasn’t going to worry about topping that last trip. But speed is a drug. On that first run of the day I got to the bottom and my watch told me my max speed was 98km/hr and I didn’t feel like I’d taken the fastest route down. It was teasing me, 2km/hr short of three figures. I had to give it another go. Just one more. How good would 100km/hr look? I decided to find out.

I went straight down the mountain, a drop of 1km in a minute on the run I was skiing on. I’d waited until it was virtually clear of everyone, but it only takes one person in the wrong place at the wrong time for things to go wrong. I was flying down, well clear of the few people that were in front of me when I noticed a snowboarder moving across the mountain in front of me, not really going down, just traversing. I started angling to get around in front of him, thinking that as we were getting close to the edge of the run that he was likely to turn or simply head back the other way. But he kept coming. I angled further away. Still he came on. At the speed I was going, there really was only a second or so in which to make a decision and I decided to keep going around the front of him rather than try and turn to go behind him which I would have done had I not been going so fast.


I clipped the front of his snowboard.

Now there’s no video of what transpired next and clearly I wasn’t in a position to process what was going on at the time. At about 95km/hr I’ve clipped the snowboard and come unstuck. Things went very wrong. If I try and put the scene in my head in words, picture an ageing, not very flexible rag doll spinning and pinwheeling about three axes, smashing into the snow, skis immediately unclipping and coming to a halt in slow motion as the rag doll tumbles another twenty metres or so down the mountain.

I came to a stop, conscious and in pain. The immediate and most noticeable pain was my right arm. I looked at it and my elbow was at ninety degrees in the direction it normally is, but my fingers felt like they were reaching out in a straight line from the elbow! It took me half a second to process that. My arm hurt like all hells and my fingers felt like there were in a position that when I looked, there were none. My immediate thought was that I’d broken my arm and it was hanging at ninety degrees to where it should be.

As a manly Aussie bloke I did what anyone else would do. I took a breath, calmly continued to inspect my arm and waited to see if it was truly done.  I yelled like all the demons of hell were chasing me!

At this point I should say that I actually feel sorry for the snow-boarder whom I clipped. It must have scared the proverbial out of him to have me come through at that speed. And he and his companion were kind enough to make their way down to me with my skis and wait with me. They didn’t speak English but they waited calmly.

I lay in the snow and pictured the rest of my holiday … a ride down the mountain with the ski-patrol, a trip to hospital, dealing with insurance … it wasn’t looking great. I had no idea what to do other than lay in the snow and wait for the ski-patrol so didn’t do much more, but did manage to rein in the howling as the pain ebbed somewhat.

Fortunately as I lay there something started to happen. Where my fingers felt they were started to align with where they actually were. Then I wiggled them! Funny how such a simple thing could be so relieving. I made a fist gently and after a couple of minutes could even move my elbow. I managed to get my, helmet off (glad that I always ski with one too!) and even managed to stand up as the ski patrol and an English speaking local arrived.

Apparently the local guy had heard me screaming from the nearby chair lift and had guided the ski-patrol to me. I’m very thankful for that if embarrassed at the fact that he said you were very loud. Such a subtle understatement. Happy that I wasn’t broken too badly and would live, I waved them away and managed to ski down to where the family waited (though noted just as I skied off that Michael had just run up the last 100m of the run to where I had crashed!).

I was shaken, in pain, but okay. My elbow was weak, but I soldiered on, got on the lift and went to the top of the mountain again. I managed to ski down cautiously and it was good enough that I kept skiing most of the morning. 



I wasn’t a lot of use with the packing, but we sorted ourselves out and managed to get on the bus where I was reminded of how lucky I actually was by the English bloke that had been working as a snowboarding instructor but was on his way home with a broken collar bone.


 We made our way to Matsumoto via a bus and a couple of trains and checked into the hotel. The joy of booking hotels on line is that you never really know what you’re getting if you haven’t stayed there before. We’re in a Premier Cabin Hotel and I have to say, the rooms remind me of cruise ship cabins only perhaps smaller. Finding out that the room for four people consists of two double beds is always a joy for housing four children. We’ll survive, we will survive.

We headed out after settling in (and down after the room discovery) to have a bit of a look around town and find some dinner. We walked down an alley where we found out where all the birds in Mastumoto go at dusk, then along a couple of beautifully lit streets and found a truly quaint little bookshop apparently propped up between its modern cousins.



We kept going until we found ourselves at the castle and had an exterior preview ahead of touring the interior in the next couple of days.




We then had the task of finding dinner which was starting to turn into a Tokyo 2015 affair. With time ticking away and no great success things were getting a bit tense and to be honest, I wasn’t feeling all that great which I put down to concussion. We were on our way back to the hotel so that I could lie down when we stumbled across a reasonable looking place with a big dumpling sign out the front. I agreed to sit through the joy of watching everyone eat and within moments we were inside and perusing the menu. Let’s just say that when there was an offering of 30 dumplings, Michael was sold on what he was eating!



Though by the end of things, after giving all of four away, he wasn’t looking quite as keen as he had been at the start of the affair.



With everyone fed we retired to the hotel early to try and get some sleep.

Michael's dumpling count: 85

No comments: