Jan 17, 2019

Japan 2019 - Day 3


Today was all about the skiing. The last time I’d checked the forecast it had said to expect snow, so I was expecting overcast and tricky conditions. So I was pretty damned happy when I looked out the window and saw the sun shining on a gorgeous winter tableau.

Everyone seemed to have had a decent night’s sleep and so rousing them and getting them moving wasn’t too much of an issue and we were organised and ready to hit the slopes nice and early.

When the kids were young and learning to ski, one of the less enviable tasks was helping everyone with their ski boots. I’d have thought that by now that it wouldn’t be an issue anymore, but I still find myself on my knees smashing the occasional boot clips closed and age and inflexibility certainly isn’t helping with reaching my own!

There’s six of us and the space in the ski locker is pretty small so there’s simply no way for all of us to get through the process at the same time. That meant that the boys were out the door and left to their own devices in the snow. Not sure if you’d recall or not, but this was the result last time I did that two years ago: 



We emerged to the sounds of adult children regressing to their childhood and bounding in the snow. They extracted themselves and we were about to head down to the lift when Michael wondered aloud if he’d left his phone in his room or lost it in the snow. Some frantic digging ensued but no phone was found, so he went back in to check the room, which of course required de-booting and the like. He emerged from the lodge to declare that his phone wasn’t there which meant it had to be in the snow. Commence more frantic digging and searching. Of course, this wasn’t just, by the side of the road snow, this was ‘I jumped off the path into the virgin, untouched, several feet deep by the tree snow’. Miraculously the phone was both found and still works. Rather than get angry I just thanked him for giving me something to write about.

Like I did on our last trip, I’ve been telling myself in the lead up that I need to get a couple of easy runs in before we get too adventurous so that I can find my ski legs, check the skills etc and make sure that I’m still capable before staring down the face of anything too stupid. That was the plan, but with the weather being as spectacular as it was, Caroline announced a desire (that I shared) to get to the top of the mountain early so that we could get photos before any weather closed in. That required us to navigate a couple of chair lifts as we explored our way to the top.

That’s where we met the chair that I like to call Bum’s in the sky. I’ve not ever really seen a single person chair lift before and certainly haven’t thought about how such a thing would look, but when we lined up for this one, it wasn’t what I expected.


That's all it was ... a single seat dangling off a pole, no back support, nothing!

Now considering that Emily isn’t all that keen on heights, the fact that she sat on this to the top of the mountain was quite astounding. The announcement that she was NEVER EVER going on it again wasn’t so unexpected. At least the views were worth it.



The next trick of course was getting back down the mountain. I’d seen a run that didn’t look too bad on our way up (other than being quite steep) and didn’t see many alternatives that didn’t involve black diamonds (as this one was). So I briefly checked with everyone before head over the side. Well, maybe I should have looked a bit harder for another way down. It wasn’t the worst run I’ve ever been on, but it was steep, there was powder and we really hadn’t skied for two years. Not to mention that we were supposed to be trying to preserve Caroline’s knee. We all navigated it and survived, it just wasn’t quite the enjoyment level that I (or Caroline) were looking for.

Given we haven’t skied for two years, the legs were getting weary pretty early in the day so we decided to seek out some lunch. Michael had a restaurant in mind that he wanted to go to so we worked out the best way of getting there without hiking for miles in our ski-boots. We found what we thought was the restaurant (it was only labelled in Japanese) and went inside. By the time that we had the menus and were considering ordering, we’d realised that we weren’t in the right place, but decided to just go with it. It turns out the restaurant speciality is okonomiyaki (In the Hiroshima style), but better than just getting to eat it, we were able to sit and watch it be prepared. It was the highlight of the day!



Fed and somewhat rested, we hit the slopes again. I avoided any crazy jumps (that is anything over about 5cm) and remembered that steep descent from first thing in the morning and so kept pretty conservative (I only maxed my speed at 82kph) for the most part. Michael, Sam and Thomas had all explored through the trees a bit (which is something Madarao is known for) and Emily decided that she too would like to give it a go. After she’d done it once the pressure came on. You can do it Dad, it’s not that bad, you’d be fine in there. Now I’ve never really liked mixing trees and skiing unless its off to the side of a gentle green run and I can see what I’m getting myself in for. This run did not fit that category. But I got sucked in. I entered the trees, fumbled around a bit and then found that where the kids were going dropped away steeply in a fashion that meant I couldn’t see where it was going.

I bailed. I skied along the top and back out to the safety of the groomed run. Sanity prevailed and I finished the day in once piece.

I have to send a nod the way of one guy I saw on the slopes today. He was snowboarding and had a shield-sized stuffed tortoise shell strapped to his bum and two smaller versions, one for each knee. He looked more than competent, but maybe he was trying new tricks or something. It was awesome regardless. Unfortunately I didn’t nab a photo.



Michael’s Dumpling count: 43

No comments: