Jan 25, 2019

Japan 2019 - Day 10


We woke this morning to find that it was still snowing. It wasn’t snowing again. It was snowing still. And it wasn’t snowing lightly either. I believe what they say is that it was puking snow. Apparently there was about 60cms dropped overnight. Visibility wasn’t all that great either.  On top of that I was feeling kind of broken. I was moving okay, but far from confident about getting out and trying anything reckless or even slightly adventurous. 

It meant that I let go of my desire to be on the mountain early and accepted a slow start, taking a stroll to a small Swiss bakery near our lodge to pick up some fresh bread for our breakfast. The bread wasn't ready, but he was just pulling some sourdough out of the oven. I grabbed two loaves and we scoffed them down. A big win to start the day.

Emily wasn’t enamoured of the conditions either, so she and I decided to stick together and basically ski a green run all day or at least until we got bored enough to stop. That’s pretty much what we did.



It didn’t stop snowing the entire time we were skiing and there was at least one point we were going up the lift and the snow was blowing upwards into our faces. It wasn’t particularly pleasant. Caroline and the boys set off to see what the rest of the mountain was like and managed to have a bit of fun, but we were all ready to call it a day reasonably early.




I did get to see Thomas head down one of the mad black runs late in the day and was quite impressed with the insanity. I think they days of even contemplating such a run if not already past me, will never eventuate. And I’m okay with that. I was happy to have managed to ski the day out and survive.

It made for tired legs at the end of the day and everyone was happy to head down to have pizza given it was just down the road. The boys weren’t quite sure why there was some need to add seaweed to their teriyaki chicken though!

Given there wasn’t much more than that to write about I thought I just add this little bit to today’s post:

On Japanese Toilets
I think I covered the toilets here pretty well over our last two trips to Japan, but I have to say that there’s always a new surprise around the corner. We were around the corner from our hotel at a shopping centre and I discovered this little bad-boy in the corner of the stall.



After all, if you’re a parent alone with your toddler and have a need come on, why not have somewhere secure to put them while you go about your business. I’m sure it wouldn’t be weird at all to have your young one watching the stress and strain of your face as you go about your business. Kudos for this being in the men’s toilets though. I can only assume they have them in the ladies as well.
Also, given we’re visiting in winter, I am totally appreciating the warmed toilet seats. And a happy bum is one with access to a warm get of water set to max!

The only other thing I’ve pondered while sitting the throne here this time around is just what people get up to in order to prompt a sign like this to be posted:



And finally, some advice for people thinking about skiing into deep powder territory and warnings about going off piste (Click to enlarge):










Michael’s dumpling count: 101

No comments: