Feb 27, 2008

Turn left at the fork in your career

My first attempt at writing this entry was quite successful, but as it happens, I did so on the lap top that is currently with Caroline. And given that I am now not going to see her for about three weeks, I decided that I should probably start again!

The first time that I wrote it I was flying between Edmonton and Vancouver. The flight was so full that I wasn't even sitting with the rest of the family. Something about the way that the flights were booked, with everyone else flying Fort Mac – Edmonton – Vancouver – Sydney – Adelaide and me returning after the Vancouver leg.

Anyway, that's not quite what I sat down to write about. I hinted in my last blog entry about some news and thought that now that it has been made public, I should end the suspense somewhat. There's been a lot going on at work and I won't be going into the details of it here (ask me in person some time and I'll share with you what's gone down). What has happened however, is that I have been presented with a new opportunity. Something a little skewed from centre when you consider my back ground.

As of last Friday, I am now the General Manager, Human Resources and Labour Relations. Both areas of which I have a working knowledge and no formal training! Should be a fun time. Don't get me wrong though, I am excited by the opportunity that this presents to me and looking forward to getting my teeth into it.

Given that there's a shutdown coming up that requires something in the order of 3000 tradesmen and they're short about 150 or so staff at the moment, along with the small fact that we have our existing maintenance contract to keep people working on and a small matter of millions of dollars worth of projects soon to come on board as well, there should be a bit to keep me occupied. Don't even worry about the labour market that we're dealing in, that's just another small challenge to be overcome.

Hang on tight!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Yoo hoo! So exciting! I hope it all goes well, Dave :)

Katie