Jul 16, 2007

Work - Day 1

Ok, so its a week after I wrote this, but I thought that I'd update it a little and share it with you anyway.

-----

With great anticipation this morning I waited to be picked up and brought into work. I really had no idea what I was in for, particularly as this is part of the whole hurry up and wait process before we move down to Sarnia.

It didn’t take long for more confusion to be added into the mix as on the way to work I was informed that the go-live for the Sarnia site had been put back to January, now 6 months out. What that means in terms of preparation etc I am yet to discover as I haven’t had the right opportunity to have the fully detailed discussion. I think I was still a little shell-shocked on the ride in and hadn’t had much of a chance to think about the implications.

My immediate thoughts were that it would mean putting the kids into school here in Fort Mac until Christmas and then move them down to Sarnia over the break to start in a new school then. But further information through the day has seeded some further clouds into the mix and I am in no better position than I was at the point when I walked out of the door this morning.

When the chief complaint that I’ve heard around here thus far is how hard it is to get some time with the boss, it doesn’t bode well for my ability to tie him down and get definitive answers, especially considering the fact that he probably doesn’t have a whole lot of them himself.

But there’s things in the air that will take a week or so to settle and so it might be a case of patience with a side of patience. I just hope that there’ll be something meaningful for me to sink my teeth into in the time it takes for all of that to settle out.

Day 1 is always a bit of a bugger and this one has proven to be true to that form.

-------------

And here I am a week later. Not much has changed, though I do now have some focus as to where I’ll be working over the next couple of months, helping to get the Firebag site up and running. What does that mean? Not entirely sure at this point other than a 2 hour commute each way!

Nailing down information on likely timing for Sarnia and the like is a task that I am yet to find a way to complete. I don’t think anyone quite knows enough at this point to be able to provide me with the answer that I desperately crave.

No comments: