Jul 21, 2007

Chocolate

From the small amount of time that I’ve spent here so far, i can only begin to assume that Canadians don’t get chocolate. They certainly don’t get it on a scale that I’m used to!

We were told soon after our arrival that we should guard the one block of Cadbury’s that we’d brought with us like gold, that we should feed the local stuff to the kids and save that block for ourselves.

I couldn’t understand. I mean I know that there’s bad chocolate out there, but this was stuff produced by the same company, just in a different place. They wouldn’t mess with it would they?

Well I had to know of course, so in a very brief time I acquired myself some of the local stuff and didn’t find it to be too bad (and hence breathed a rather large sigh of relief). Caroline however, said that she could indeed taste a difference and preferred the stuff from home. It wasn’t for me that it wasn’t different, just that it wasn’t different enough for me to give the stuff up. I think the best way that I can describe it is in that the local Cadbury tastes more like what nestle produces back home. It is different.

But then the thing that really got to me was a question of quantity. At home, it was only ever in the face of an absolute bargain that I would buy chocolate in anything less than a full family (300g?) block. SO naturally when I walked into the supermarket here, I expected to be confronted by the same vast range of choice in the same sized packaging.

I can’t begin to describe my disappointment. For a start, there wasn’t much in the way of choice. What the hell happened to Top Deck and Caramel and Peppermint and the array of different nut-impregnated chocolate that Cadbury produces back home.

And more importantly, what the hell is going on with only finding 100g blocks of chocolate?! For crying out loud, in quantities like that, you can’t even be expected to share the stuff! It wasn’t until today, some 2 weeks after that first foraging attempt that I managed to find a somewhat undersized 200g block of Cadbury. And there was no other choice than simple, plain, not quite right milk chocolate.

An absolute disgrace!

And don’t even get me started on the ‘cheezies’. You must have to grow up with that crap to like it (we were in search of something approximating a twisty).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate to break it to you but I'm pretty sure that, on this side of the world, Cadbury is made by Nestle. A million or so years ago Cadbury used to be better - just slightly so, but better nonetheless, now I don't even bother with it.