Jun 25, 2007

Trip Hazard Ahead

Sometimes, when everything is going according to plan, you sit and wait for the small little thing that's going to be the one to trip you up. Of cousre, its when you sit and wait for it that it doesn't happen.

Its when you don't stop to think about the fact that its all been sailing somewhat smoothly that things tend to trip you up.

So it was that after an hour on the phone this morning, trying to speak to the Canadian to find out where my work permit application was at that I had a little stumble.

You know your inquiry hasn't started well when after stating your name and hearing them type it in, they say, “Can I just check the spelling of that.” Which of course is followed by the doom-saying words, “Your application doesn't seem to be in our system, do you mind holding whilst I take a look?”

I wasn't going to push it enough to say, “I've waited 50 minutes to get this far, of course I mind!”

Minutes later the girl comes back on the line to say, “I've found your application,” (Huge sigh of relief from yours truly) “but it usually takes 4-6 weeks to process, you really should have submitted this a lot earlier.”

So now I am sitting here waiting for a response from my company to the question, “If this permit doesn't come through in the next four days, what happens about our pre-booked travel, accommodation, car hire, holiday ...?”

And by golly I just love the wait ...

...6 sleeps to go ...
... I think.

No comments: