May 7, 2007

I stumbled across this article online and have to say that I was stunned. Singaporean pedestrians have been crowned as the fastest in the world (within the scope of the study of course).

I am stunned because one of my lasting memories of Singapore was trying to get through a crush of pedestrians to get places because they always seemed to be ambling along at their own pace and getting in my way.

I did note in the article that they said there'd been a 30% increase since the early 90's (I lived there in the mid 90's) so maybe that accounts for it. Its entirely possible that they've outpaced me in the time since. Especially since I've been anywhere but a city walkway that would have the sort of crowds that you get in Singapore.

There's also the fact that my memories tend to be of crowded walkways below ground between shopping centres and the like and so its probably not typical of the environment in which the study was conducted.

But having said all that, its just funny how you can have a perception of a place from time spent there that can be completely wide of the mark.

No comments: