Apr 27, 2007

Umbrella Ettiquette

It hasn't rained in Adelaide for quite a long time. We're in a severe drought. But for the last 2 days, the watery stuff has once again begun falling from the sky.

Its also the first time that its rained since I've been working in the CBD. I had to break out the umbrella.

So did a lot of other people.

Apparently a lot of them are shorter than me. Or maybe its just that all the people that were giving me the shits were all shorter than me! I'm not overly tall but there's a good reason why I noticed all the people that were shorter than me. They seemed to maange to aim the rim of their umbrellas at my head and expected me to get out of the way.

Now having to dodge an umbrella in the rain is fine, its part of the fun. But what really got my blood boiling was the number of people that insisted on walking under the minimal bit of shelter provided by building verandahs and porches and so on with their umbrellas up!

Hello! It doesn't rain on you when you are under the shelter. If you have an umbrella and feel the need to keep it up, then when you see 300m of shelter, go walk in the bloody rain! Or, radical as this might seem as a concept, put it down whilst you're under the shelter. Don't keep trying to take my eyes out because you're ignorant, please!

I mean, the thing that topped it all off for me was the woman who was standing in line for the ATM. Under shelter. With her umbrella up. Lucky I'm such a nice guy or I might have found a new way for her to hold it ... arrrrrgh!

No comments: