Apr 22, 2007

Snot Breath

When I sleep, I typically sleep on my side, facing away from Caroline. But occasionally I turn over and sleep on my other side. Because of the shoulder injury I’ve been having to sleep on my back in order to get any rest at all. Its simply not comfortable to lie on it, nor is it any good lying the other way as it rests in a position that causes significant pain.

Last night I woke up at 3am for no particular reason and had to lie there, flat on my back, attempting to return to the land of sleepy bo-bo’s.

As I lay there, I became aware of something that I’ve had occasion to notice before, but generally forget about. I was being breathed on.

When I sleep on my side, I tend to tuck my head towards my chest a little, such that my nostrils point toward my chest. When Caroline sleeps on her side, she tends to sleep with her head tilted up, which means that her nostrils tend to be aimed away from her. And if she’s facing me, that’s where they point.

There’s something quite disconcerting about lying in bed and getting little rhythmic puffs of air from your bed mates’ nostrils! Especially when you’re lying there, trying not to think about such things so that you can get back to sleep. At least it makes one glad not to be sleeping next to the legendary Snot Dragon of McFillispire!

Of course, when I realised that there was also a little sleep nail-biting going on, I had to nudge her away so that I didn’t quietly dissolve into my own personal insanity before sleep could claim me.

No comments: