Mar 27, 2007

Inconceivable

The other day after work I was sitting on the couch and Emily decided that she wanted to teach me a new game. It was something that she’d learnt at kindy called sleeping tigers (lions or some other sort of big cat).

The idea of the game was to lie down very still and very quietly and not wiggle. If you wiggled you had to sit up and be a sitting tiger (or appropriate variant).

This idea puzzled me somewhat because the person that was suggesting that we play it was Emily. This is a little girl that can’t sit still to save her life, possibly second only to her eldest brother Michael (though his recent discovery of reading a good book has issued something of a challenge to his never ceasing activity). I mean if I had been told that she wanted to teach me a game where you ran screaming from one end of the house to the other and back again over and over and over … well that would have made perfect sense.

I never quite got around to playing sleeping tigers (or variant) with her because I was too stunned by the news that Caroline then provided me with.

The reason that she’d wanted to tell me about the game so much was that she’d won it earlier in the day at Kindy! Emily. Laying still! Longer than a heap of other kids!

Inconceivable!

No comments: