Mar 23, 2007

Four

Today my little girl turned 4. It is hard to believe that its so long since I stood in the delivery room and heard a midwife say, “He’s a bit stunned … he’s a she!”. It was a day that exploded the house into pink and although it was only four years ago, she’s been such a dominant force in the house, it seems as though she’s been there fore ever.

Apparently yesterday was a day full of anticipation for her meaning that there was none of the usual afternoon sleep, just lots and lots of excitement.

And of course, attempting to get her to sleep last night was a bit of a challenge too. So this morning, on the big day itself … she slept in. Not a long time, but enough that I was ready to go to work before she emerged.

I was lucky enough to be coming down the passage as she wandered bleary eyed from her room, clutching the ever faithful blanket mkII. Obviously she was yet to come to terms with the fact that waking up meant that all those big sleeps that she’d been waiting for were gone and that this was the day.

I wrapped her in my arms and picked her up in a big hug as I wished her happy birthday and as the realisation dawned upon her, her face lit up with joy. By the time that she’d gone the extra 5 metres to see Caroline in our room, she couldn’t keep the grin from her face. Especially because she could see presents sitting there ready for her to open.

Once she’d extracted birthday hugs from all of her brothers, it was present time. The boys handed over the goods and as the wrapping fell away from the first present, she exclaimed, “This is my favourite, I really wanted one of these!”

I think it was Sam who asked her, “What is it?” given that they’d not seen what we bought for her.

“I don’t know!” She replied happily as she continued to tear away the paper. But she was happy anyway and that’s what its all about.

No comments: