Feb 10, 2007

Yukon ho!

Following the announcement that was the subject of my last post, the rush was on to see what information I could possibly garner to further our understanding of what it all meant. Especially since there was a note from the guy likely to be my new boss saying call me.

Now the timing of the announcement left a little to be desired as I first heard whilst driving to Whyalla. Of course, I stopped at our Pt Augusta office on the way but couldn't access the story from there. And it wasn't until late in the afternoon that I managed to access it from Whyalla. It was the following day (Wednesday) that I received the email that said 'call me but I was sans mobile and without access to a phone that I could use for an international call.

So I departed Whyalla early and headed for Pt Augusta where I attempted to make the call. I tried his office number first and got something that sounded like a couple of foreign young teenage girls giggling (no, I didn't keep the number) and then tried the mobile only to get 'This phone is not connected.' Crap.

That left me waiting until Thursday with the time difference meaning that if I didn't call before about 11 it was after business hours. Thursday I managed to leave a couple of messages, but made no contact.

So Friday was the day that I finally managed to speak to the guy in Canada. It didn't leave me flush with information, but the pieces that were most useful were firstly, that yes it was going to happen and secondly that the likely timing was August – September this year. Oh and we will be moving to Sarnia. That was the other important piece of course. So if you google Sarnia, or use google earth, you'll know just how far we are going!

And so the mind starts ticking ... and ticking ... and ticking ... which at least distracts one from thoughts about the man that's going to slice and dice his boys this Friday ... only 5 sleeps from now!

P.S. I knew that there was something that I wanted to add to this when I posted it. As has been kindly pointed out with a comment to this post, Sarnia is indeed a long way from Yukon. But having been a fan of Calvin and Hobbes for many many year's when titling the post, about a move to Canada where it snows, I couldn't get it from my mind. So I titled it thus with the intent of ensuring that I put something in to show that I am not quite that ignorant. Oh well, better late that never.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to disappoint and/or be picky, but Sarnia is quite far from Yukon.

bloggomatique said...

That may be true, but Sarnia is kind of like the Yukon of the south.