Feb 20, 2007

A Day at the Knackery

So its been done. And it didn't seem right to pass such a momentous event off without a post.

I think that it was fortunate that I'd been so busy during the week that I hadn't really had time to think about what was going to happen. Not up until the dream that I had the night before I was going in to have to surgery when I dreamt about it. I knew when I woke up from that dream that the chances of having the operation done whilst kneeling on all fours like a dog peeing against a tree were minimal. I have no idea what my subconscious was playing at but man was I tense when I woke up.

It was a lot of hours later that I was finally on the operating table. And it was at the point where the nurse started telling me what to expect that I think I finally realised exactly what this procedure meant.

I think it was the bit where she talked about the needle that I'd get ... in my scrotum. That certainly was something I decided I couldn't look forward to. The fact that I then had several minutes to think about it whilst the doctor prepared didn't help. Way too much apprehension for those moments.

I think I was relieved when the first needle was done. I have to liken it to a dental injection (other than by location obviously) in that I think the thought of the needle was significantly worse than the reality. It wasn't painless, but it wasn't 'cry out and ask for mummy' pain either.

At that point, there was a pause whilst the anesthetic took effect. During this time, the nurse engaged me in conversation, which continued right through the process such that at times one stopped and realised that whilst one was chatting happily away, there was a guy standing beside me, casually applying the Selly's No More Kids(tm)! It was very surreal.

Then he'd finished the first side and it was time to move on ... which meant another needle. I didn't expect any pain, hoping that the first anesthetic would cover of the needle on the other side. I should be so lucky. Nothing like a brief and searing pain in one's most precious bits.

All in all though, the procedure wasn't an issue. The worst pain I felt from that needle probably only rated a 3.5/10 in the scheme of things. One of the women that works there spoke to Caroline and advised her that it wasn't that painful, nothing like what a woman goes through.

It wasn't until later that I thought, “How would she know, she's never been there.” After all, we've had four kids and I never felt a thing!

The proof was always going to be when the anesthetic wore off though. And again, there wasn't an intense physical pain just days of discomfort that I can only relate to the feeling that one gets after stopping a soccer ball with a poorly selected bit of anatomy! And I mean here I am on Tuesday evening and I still feel like I've done exactly that.

Apparently it gets better ...

No comments: