Dec 30, 2006

Musical Journeys

At Christmas, the large guy in the red suit bought each of our children a CD of music. I have to wonder what the musical future of my kids is when I look at what they got and what they're enjoying.

Michael got a compilation of Australian ballads, so does that mean that we're going to see him going all country or worse ... hill billy? Of course, he's been the one most likely to ask to listen to my Rolf Harris CD too ...

Samuel received the latest Beatles compilation which I happen to think is cool. Sam is the one that has shown the most interest in my music of all of the kids every now and then asking what something is or telling me that something that I am playing sounds really cool; especially the bit of Beatles that I have. So at least for him, I have hope that he'll be into a cool and eclectic mix of independent artists.

Thomas received something that appeared at first glance to be suitable for him, a Power Rangers CD Unfortunately the first listen introduced what I can only call a bad mix of Heavy Metal TV themed crap. The big fat guy should have done some more listening before sticking that in a stocking. And of course Thomas likes it simply because its his! When he starts asking for black t-shirts to be added to his wardrobe, I'll be worrying even more.

Emily received a compilation of toddler tunes that can be sung along to, which is most likely to see her down the pop/idol kind of stuff. Given she's a girl, I expect that that will be likely regardless. But we'll see what we can do to help.

So there you have it, a start down their musical journeys. It will be interesting to see where that takes us. Of course, given the breadth of what I have in my collection, I am also aware that where you start has little bearing on where you finish. After all, I own a couple of Ice-T CD's but the most recent things to join my collection were Johnny Cash and a Eurythmics compilation!

As to Caroline, well she just had the gall to tell me that we don't need loud music for New Year's Eve. And I thought she knew me? Apparently having conversation is enough and you don't need anything to dance to. I think I've managed a compromise ... we are going away for New Years, but I've scaled back from my original intent of taking along my old stereo from the shed. I think I'll get Rolf loud enough to maintain tradition!

Anyway, here's wishing you all the best for your own end of year celebrations! I hope that 07 treats you all well and kindly.

No comments: