Dec 19, 2006

Licking the floor

During the winter, we had our floor boards sanded back and then covered with a polyurethane treatment to keep them nice. Which was fine except for the fact that they dude doing it screwed up the job, leaving grit in the floor and obvious marks where he'd stopped and started applying the coating.

It was unacceptable and we let him know that. He complained that the cold weather made it difficult and so we organised for him to come back and do it again when the weather warmed up. And so he did. That meant that we got to move all of our furniture out of the extension all over again!.

And he screwed it up even worse. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but he did. So we've had a quote from someone else and threatened to send him the bill. We'll see how that transpires.

That all pissed me off, but the thing that really got me to writing was the tacos. The other night we sat down to have tacos for dinner. I ate one before Caroline got around to sitting down with us. She took one bite and said, “This tastes like floor polish.”

Now mine had tasted a little odd, but I hadn't thought anything of it. I of course told Caroline she was crazy as I ate away at my second. After all, they'd been sealed in plastic before I took them out. But as I ate away at my second, I realised that that odd flavour I'd noted ... it was indeed the flavour of floor polish. Talk about a ruined dinner.

That same night, I found some cake in the freezer that had been there long enough that it deserved to be eaten. It was a lemon tart, one of my favourite cakes in the entire world. I waited until it had thawed out and thought, “Well dinner might have been ruined, but at least I can enjoy this.”

Yes, you guessed it, the very first bite ... floor polish. Out went the cake.

But the ultimate was two nights ago when Caroline produced some chocolate. Yummy caramel flavoured chocolate ... that tasted like floor polyurethane floor polish. I was angry then! There'd been no warning that various food stuffs would come out tasting like the polish after it had exuded through the air of our house for a couple of days!

I don't want to lick the floor ... and I didn't need all my yummy food to taste like that was what I was doing either!

No comments: