Mar 2, 2012

Breeding like the proverbial

Did I mention that we have four more rabbits? That means a total of 8 of the little critters currently inhabiting our backyard. The worst thing is that I think there’s more on the way.

After all, the first lot of little ones came about when the mother and father were left to mix for a few minutes. It surely wasn’t longer than that, but it was apparently long enough for them to breed like … well, you know the saying. Whilst Dad is now a sports model and therefore should be able to safely occupy the same living space as Mum, there’s the small matter that there’s two boys from the first litter still about the place and they haven’t been de-sexed. That’s fine when Mum and litter number 2 are safely ensconced in their little area under the cubby house, but that hasn’t been entirely successful.

About a week ago as I was getting ready for work Caroline happened to mention that it appeared there’d been an escape. We found that all five of the rabbits that are usually in the compound were gaily bounding about the yard. Fun ensued as we chased them down, captured them and blocked off the area they’d managed to escape through.

Then a couple of days later I was woken up the sound of a small child yelling (with a little too much glee and enthusiasm) “Bunny Escape!” Someone had managed to leave a door open and off they went again.

So given that Mum has now had about 24 hours of time alone with two fertile male rabbits, I’m pretty sure there’s only one likely conclusion.

To top it all off, this morning when I looked out the window, there was once again a small rabbit bounding about. I went outside to check up on things and found Mum (Pepper) sitting very demurely just outside the cage. I found out why she was sitting there so calmly at the point that I realised she’d managed to stick her head through the vertical bars of the enclosure and become wedged! I don’t know how long she’d been like that, but I can certainly imagine the stress it must have put the little thing under. I felt very sorry for her as I bent the cage to free her and was rather glad that the small pink thing wasn’t there to witness it.
Lucky we didn’t get a dog?

No comments: