Nov 9, 2010

Just like Christmas

Unwrapping everything of the back of returning from Canada has been a little bit like Christmas, finding things that you knew you had but hadn't really thought about until you find them again.

Then there was the stuff that was put into storage in Australia whilst we were away. I knew that we'd put some wine into storage, because we weren't quite up to chugging it all down before we left and were too tight to just give it away (especially when we found out that we could actually have it stored). Caroline asked me the other day how much wine we had put into storage and I told her that from memory (as poor as that can be) there was about a dozen bottles that we'd bothered to save. She seemed surprised and when I asked why, she told me that there appeared to be more boxes than would be required to pack away a dozen bottles of wine.

Tonight I happened to find where those boxes had ended up in the shed and decided to take a peek and get them down into the pit where they'd be isolated from the temperature fluctuations they'd otherwise be exposed to. It was like Christmas come early as each bottle had been individually wrapped and I found myself exclaiming in delight as I discovered the treasures that had been put away over three years ago.

Six dozen bottles of 8 to 10 year old reds now nestle in the pit, awaiting further exploration. I sense some fun ahead! Now if only I hadn't decided 21 days ago to enter into a self-imposed detox for a month. I sure wouldn't be typing fluently right now, that's for sure.

No comments: