Dec 13, 2008

bah humbug

I have been accused at work recently of being the scrooge, chiefly because of a complaint that I made about the local radio station playing Christmas songs intermittently (hey, we are talking about the 1st of December here).

Well the other night i came home determined not to be Mr Bah Humbug and to get the Christmas tree that had been purchased inside the house so that Caroline and the kids could decorate it. I don't usually participate in this because the excitement that it generates in the kids is usually enough to stress me out and ensure that I ruin it for everyone (maybe I really am the scrooge!).

All was well for a while, up to the point that the tree was formed more like a banana than a nice straight Christmas tree. This meant that although I'd carried it in, sawed off the bottom two inches and tried my damndest, the tree simply wasn't going to stand up straight without further adjustement. And given that it was 10:30 at night, I was covered in sap and had been repeatedly speared by pine needles, I lost it. Bah Humbug. Worst tree ever, cursed six ways to Christmas.

Over the course of Friday I thought about it though and came into the house determined not to ruin the Christmas spirit and see the tree where it belonged; upright, vertical and in the stand.

What I found instead was that Michael and Caroline had beaten me to it and the worst Christmas tree ever was in fact a delightfully bushy, tall marvellous tree.

Right now, it's being decorated. Photos to come.

No comments: