Aug 28, 2007

Precious

This morning I awoke without the alarm going off. As my eyes focused sleepily on the clock, my brain registered the numbers …6 … 3 … 3. Click, whir, clunk.

Shit! 6:33am.

To put this in perspective, to beat the stupid traffic here and the curfew that sees you spend 15 minutes in the car park whilst all the buses come in the gate, I’ve been leaving home at 6:30am.

Fortunately my clock is 8 minutes fast, so as the clock flickered and became 6:34 and my feet hit the floor, it was really only 6:24. Bonus!

I had a quick ‘deodorising’ shower (you know, the one that gets sprayed out of a can and involves no water) thanked myself for having done the ironing this week, rinsed my face and hair and then scrambled into some clothes.

I grabbed my computer bag and work accoutrements and headed out the door. Well, nearly out the door. I realised that my computer bag was a bit light and quickly checked the contents. No laptop.

10 minutes later, having scoured the house, I recalled that the previous evening as I’d put Emily to bed, I’d rescued the bag from her room and admonished her about the fact that the computer didn’t belong to me and she shouldn’t be touching it.

I had no choice, I went upstairs and gently woke the sleeping princess.

“Emily, where’s Daddy’s computer?”

A dazed and groggy little princess replied, “It’s behind the cupboard … no, no its not, its in the bottom drawer.”

I checked the drawer of the indicated side table and sure enough, there was my computer. I didn’t have time to rant and rave and I wanted her to go back to sleep rather than start the chaos that is the morning and so again, quickly told her that she shouldn’t have done it and that I wasn’t very impressed.

“I just put it there so that Thomas wouldn’t get it Daddy.”

So thoughtful.

And if you want to know just how precious she really is, ask Caroline about taking her and the three boys along as she attempted to get Emily enrolled in a pre-school session.

Ask her about the fire alarm …

No comments: