Feb 17, 2023

Japan 2023 - Day 9

It’s currently the 17th of Feb and we’re back on a train travelling from Kyoto to Nagano so we can get on a bus to Shiga Kogen for more skiing. Given the hours of joyous train travel involved, I’m hoping it means I can catch up on a few days of our adventures! Kind of Ironic that on day 9 of our travels we were actually travelling in the opposite direction, having left Madarao bound for Osaka.

To achieve that we had to endure the chaos of twelve of us packing up to get out of the lodge. I know from all my work travel that I have an amazing capacity to spread my crap a long way in a very short space of time.  So if you give me four nights in one location and a lot of stuff, getting it all back where it belongs can be something of a challenge. Add another person to that and packing day can be pretty stressful, especially with skis and stuff involved. We managed though, sending a bag of stuff we wouldn’t need straight to the airport and our ski gear off to Shiga Kogen to await our next round of skiing.

With the packing taken care of we bussed down to Iiyama to catch the train. We had just enough time to dart into the local supermarket … the first time we’d managed to get into one this trip. Given we had a decent travel time ahead of us (five hours or so) we stocked up on a heap of stuff we really didn’t need (as well as some fruit) to help survive the journey. I love the fact that you can get basically everything you need to satisfy your immediate and not so immediate needs from a Japanese Supermarket. I picked up a crumbed pork cutlet to eat on the train, some baked goods, chocolate, whiskey, chips … and even managed to get out of there just in time to make it back to catch the train.

It was also where we farewelled Michael and Olivia as they were due to head back home and so were travelling to Tokyo rather than Osaka.

From there it was mostly a matter of enjoying the train ride. All of our previous trips to Japan had seen us travel from Tokyo to Nagano, but this time we were heading down to Osaka for the first time and we travelled West form Nagano to Kanazawa and along the coast of the sea of Japan.

The scenery was spectacular; mountains, lakes, tunnels and of course an array of Japanese housing, but other than that there’s not a lot to say about a 5 hour train journey where everyone survived connections, no luggage was lost and we arrived at our destination. I mean, maybe it’s a sign that everyone’s grown up when no-one provides me fodder to write about. All I can say, is that I don’t always pee on the train, but when I do, I like to do it at 300+ Km/hr with a window people can watch  through! That’s a very slight embellishment. The window isn’t to the outside of the train (sadly) and is really just enough for someone to see if the toilet is occupied or not (and only for the urinal, not the sit-down toilet). But still, if they see you in there, it’s pretty damn clear what you’re doing.

We arrived in Osaka around mid-afternoon which gave us time to check in to the hotel and then to go for a walk and explore some of the local shopping (with my express purpose being to find some whiskey). I was targeting the Daimaru we’d seen in the train station, but along the way we stumbled across Liquor Mountain. It was like coming across a rich vein of gold. I managed to pick up an elusive bottle of Yamazaki along with another single malt to keep it company, but given I was going to have to carry anything I bought for the rest of the trip (and had already picked up a bottle earlier in the trip) and hadn’t really scouted out a lot of prices, I limited myself to the two.

We split up after that, exploring the shops, including finding another pokemon store and the food gallery at the bottom of the Daimaru, before meeting up to organise dinner.

We again split up and sent the youngsters off to do their own thing and opted for Yakitori with Jasn and Bel, which was entirely delicious and nice and simple to organise given there were only four of us to cater for!

We retired relatively early given our plan for the following day was to take on Universal Studios Japan and would require something of an early start.

No comments: