Sep 22, 2011

What came first - the rabbit or the egg?

For some time now we’ve been waiting for the chickens to lay eggs. I’ve been away with work for a couple of days, but as far as I know, we’re still waiting.

In other Temby Menagerie news, following the passing of the little rabbit Grace, we’ve been diligently keeping the replacement, Pepper away from the randy little clutches of the boy rabbit Ginger. On Monday night though as we were headed for bed, Pepper was acting just a little oddly compared to normal and I made comment to Caroline that it appeared she was either trying to dig her way out of the hutch (which was going to prove difficult through the wooden board it sits on) or she was collecting all the straw and other loose material from the main part of the hutch into the sleeping area.

I believe I may have even made comment that it appeared that she was nesting. I though no more of it and went off to work.

Yesterday whilst out and about in remote areas of NSW I received a rather patchy call from Caroline but was able to make out enough to hear that following the potential nesting behaviour, Pepper had been making some strange noises during the day. I can’t say I’m acutely aware of the time line but at some point during the day Caroline put Pepper outside for a bit of R&R and subsequently inspected the hutch only to see something move in there. Pepper was quickly returned to the hutch on the basis that the four little rabbits within might need their mother!

I spoke to an extremely excited Emily last night, but the immaculate conception still remains a little blurry. What we do know is that at times when Pepper has proven to be difficult to locate in the back yard (something about a black rabbit hiding in dark places in fading light in the garden) Emily has brought Ginger out and relies on his base desires to drive him to locate Pepper. I witnessed one such occasion where this occurred and Emily interrupted their brief visit mid-celebration so to speak.

Apparently on at least one occasion, one of these celebrations mustn’t have been interrupted early enough!

No comments: