Mar 28, 2011

Going Shopping

In the brief 2 weeks that I had in Australia prior to the arrival of the rest of the family I was living in an apartment, all on my own and without any of the household goods and luxuries that one becomes used to having. Simple things like shampoo and toothpaste.

Not a large problem, simply a matter of stopping in at the supermarket and picking some up. It all sounds so simple.

What I realised as I stood there in the aisle was that normally I have a choice of one type, that being what ever has been procured by my lovely wife. I simply remove the shampoo from the rack and wash.

But standing in the aisle of the supermarket, the choice was significantly greater. It was bloody enormous in fact. All sorts of fruity and fantastic concoctions lined the shelves before my eyes, each professing to be the ant’s pants in their chosen line of hair care. Oily hair, dry hair, coloured hair, over exposed and under nourished slightly toxic hair. There only seemed to be two versions lacking as far as I could establish. Shampoo for those with no hair (possibly called soap) and shampoo that has been formulated to quite simply wash hair.

I remain grateful for the persistence of those hairs that continue to cling to my head and their efforts at covering the dome beneath and I don’t really stop to consider where it fits in the scale of dry to oily etc. I’m sure that that little bit of colour I had applied to the tips of my hair once about 20 years ago is no longer and issue. And that natural grey colouring that’s starting to creep in probably doesn’t need any chemical assistance or maintenance either. So really, when it comes to trying to identify a shampoo to suit my head, I’m really not looking for anything special.

Regardless of all the procrastination, a choice had to be made. I thought about spinning randomly in the aisle with eyes closed and arm extended (due to the lack of darts in my possession to assist with the random selection) but really, I’m strange enough without behaving like that in a supermarket. I might have been committed! I scanned one more time and decided that perhaps prevention would be a way to go. So I grabbed the head and shoulders anti-dandruff stuff and headed to the counter because apparently, its good for ALL sorts of hair!

No comments: