Jan 28, 2011

Hoping for a musical gift

This year, as the kids prepare to embark on their scholastic journey once more, we find two of the tribe learning instruments as part of the school curriculum. On the plus side, its Thomas and Emily, who both spent some time learning the piano over the last year that we were in Canada. It should at least give them a little bit to work from with regards to reading the music etc.

Now I used to learn the guitar. It was a long time ago and I like to think that after 6 years of lessons, what I worked out was that I was rubbish. Well maybe not complete rubbish, but I learned to play one note at a time and with little to no artistic flair. I play the guitar like an engineer. Well, when I say I play it like that, I used to. I think I remember one chord and couldn't read a sheet of music to save my life.

So I am hoping that from somewhere within the genetic mix, Thomas and Emily will find themselves with some of that non-tone deaf magic that good musicians have.

After all, Thomas is learning the Trombone and Emily is Learning the Violin.

Can we say cruel and unusual punishment?

(I might have to insist that all practice is done straight after school)

No comments: