Mar 14, 2010

Daylight Saving

It seems that every couple of years with the change for daylight savings, we get caught out. One of the things about living in Fort McMurray is that I don’t tend to pay much attention to the local media. Let’s face it, it’s pretty much restricted to local radio and for as much as they try hard, I can’t say that I am a fan and so more often than not, you’ll find me listening to a podcast rather than the radio. What it meant this year was that it snuck up on us. Someone said something late Friday to me, but that went in one ear and out the other.

So this morning I woke up, looked at the clock and realized we weren’t going to make 9am mass. I did make the effort though to get up and make sure that the kids were fed in time for the 11am mass instead. Having cooked pancakes, I logged onto the computer for a bit and then, when I though it was about 20 to, called out to Caroline to make sure she would be as ready as the rest of us. On the hour, as she emerged from the lofty heights of the second story, I politely told her that we would be rather late. At which point she asked why, given that it was only 10am. I re-checked my watch and slapped myself for being a goose.

Half an hour later, as I sat down to write here, something clicked in my head and I remembered that brief and vague conversation that I’d had on Friday that had mentioned daylight savings. I checked the internet and sure enough, it wasn’t 10:30 anymore, it was 11:30. We’d missed the mass anyway. Goose squared!

And a brief note: When the sun rises at 4am and it’s still daylight at 11pm at night in high summer, what is the point of daylight savings? It’s not really like you’re running out of the stuff!?

No comments: