Sep 20, 2009

Syphilis

No, don’t be alarmed, it’s not what you think. I don’t have it. Um, yeah, well anyway, I think I mentioned some time back the levels of general amusement that were reached when I watched medically related advertisements on North American TV, well the other day I nearly drove off the road.

I was on my way home when an advertisement came on the local radio station (which I try to avoid via podcasting of Triple J and BBC Radio 1) to mention that Fort McMurray has the highest rate of syphilis of any city in Canada. Lovely. I mean this is a bit different to Triple J covering some of the topics that they do, because that is a radio station that’s aimed at a particular demographic (one I’m quite certainly no longer a part of) where as this is the equivalent of SAFM back home.

Its just delightful to hear an add about a sexually transmitted disease on the local station, signing off with: “Syphilis, its back! Get tested!”

Tasty what?

No comments: