Feb 2, 2009

Smemory

Yesterday, we dragged the kids out to the local ski hill for a bit of skiing action (though Michael and Sam opted to sit in the ‘chalet’ whilst Caroline, Thomas, Emily and I did the actual skiing – Michael because he has a cough and Sam because he just couldn’t be faffed).

It was going to be a hectic afternoon because after skiing we had ringette for Thomas and Emily immediately followed by my indoor soccer and possibly Caroline’s ringette if she opted to go out.

As we left from the ski hill Emily started to tell me that she didn’t feel all that great, but of course I thought she was just trying to get out of having to do ringette. She quieted down on the way there as well which I thought gave credibility to my suspicions. Turns out that it had more to do with the fact that she’d fallen asleep!

When we arrived at the ice rink she was still asleep and I wasn’t that keen to have to go through the trouble of waking her up and getting her kitted out and so waited for Caroline to arrive (we were in two cars because of all the equipment we were lugging around) to make a recommendation that we just head home. With that done, off home it was.

Sadly I only managed to get about half a kilometre down the road before Emily reiterated that she wasn’t feeling well and thought that she was going to be sick. I think the delay between making that statement and hearing that horrible bubbling sound that is a child vomiting in the car was approximately 1.73 seconds. Certainly not enough time to do anything like pull over and get her to eject her stomach contents outside the vehicle.

Of course Thomas was with us as well and he was quickly out the car and elsewhere so that he didn’t go off in a sympathy spew. I of course, being the parent got to deal with the mess in my car. Yummy.

We managed to get home without either Thomas or I joining the fun and without Emily throwing up again. I assure you, cracking the windows to let the smell out when it s-20-C is not fun. I swear for the rest of the day, all I could smell was the faint remnants of regurgitated hot chocolate.

And at 2am this morning, when Michael came in to tell me that he’d been awake coughing for an hour and a half and couldn’t sleep, I had a smemory. A strange and random recollection of the smell of vomit … even though there was nothing to generate it. I can do well enough without remembering some smells thank you.

No comments: