Sep 4, 2008

Nick of Time

The other night as I went upstairs to go to sleep, I was surprised to find that Thomas had decided to sleep outside of his room on the landing. I was just in the process of starting to move him when Emily came stumbling, sleep-eyed out of her own bedroom. I assumed that she was just going to go to the toilet, but she got as far as Thomas and then turned, headed back into her room. Just as she started to turn away though, I noticed a touch of ‘spittle’ between her lips as her cheeks puffed out just a little.

With no time to really think about it, I grabbed her arm and steered her into the nearest bathroom and managed to get her close enough to the toilet that at the point of expulsion, the vomit that I’d forseen predominantly went straight into the bowl. Talk about intervening in the nick of time! The Thought of what we’d have been dealing with had she managed to eject the contents of her stomach over her carpet and toys in her room really is just too much to think about.

She spent the rest of the night asleep on the floor of our ensuite bathroom, which she wasn’t overly happy with, but it also proved to be a prudent move later in the evening when she wasn’t quite aware of where the bucket was. Fortunately by that time we weren’t talking large volumes of vomit.

And of course, the real tragedy was that the following day was to be her first ever night of Gymnastics, which she was oh so excited about, to the point that about the first thing that she said to me as I cleaned up the bathroom was, “Daddy, do I still get to go to Gymnastics?”

I’m sure she’ll make up for that disappointment when she get’s there this week.

No comments: