Jul 18, 2008

Honoured

Growing up in Australia, we’re influenced by North American culture in a multitude of ways that you don’t even think about. Now that we’re living over here, some of them occasionally pop up out of the blue and where you’d be surprised if it happened at home, over here, you tend to think, “Oh yeah, I guess they do that here.”

The most recent example of this that I’ve come across popped up at the end of the school year. Michael and Sam were invited to a presentation evening. I didn’t actually wonder too much about it other than to make sure that I got to the school in time to be there for the presentation.

As it turns out, both of the little blighters ‘made honour role.’ Quite impressive really. And one of those things that I remember having heard about randomly through all those American TV Shows and movies that I watched as a kid growing up. I have to say though I never understood the mechanics of it until now.

As far as the school that our boys are at, to make the honour roll, you have to exceed 80% in all of your subjects. Now given that they both skipped half a year of school and moved forward, I have to say that I am very very proud of them

We’ll leave out questions about how good the education system might be, about the fact that it seems to be a very test-orientated, seventies kind of environment and just bask in the fact that they both managed to do it. Hopefully they keep their heads down enough next year to manage it again!

No comments: